Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Sublime

this is the only song from my musical (Abbey sings it in Act 2) that I think can stand by itself without the plot getting in the way. I'm posting the "rockstar" version (aka the version where the rhyme schemes are a little bit more lax... in my musical I make sure every rhyme is PERFECT. cause i'm like that. sondheim would want it that way.)

Sublime

In the beginning, abusing
Was an unknown disgrace
They say it’s sinning I’m choosing
But it takes me out of this place
Neither winning nor losing
I’m not in the race
Gives me a different body
Gives me a different face
One that’s thinning and bruising
And slightly erased
Maybe you wouldn’t
But I would, and I do
Maybe I shouldn’t
It feels good, it’s so true
It’s not as bad as what they told me in school
They forgot to mention it makes you look cool

I’m not hurting anyone
I wanted to have fun
It’s been awhile
But I’m not done
I’ve wasted so much time
What I taste now is sublime

I’m over ending conversations with “no thanks”
Finally enjoying my time here on Earth
I’m through climbing society’s ranks
No longer concerned with how much I’m worth
It’s a blessed gift
Being able to drift

I’m not hurting anyone
I’ve never had such fun
I’m finally in style
No longer number one
I’ve wasted so much time
What I taste now is sublime

Cure all my social ills
With a palm of purple pills to devour
You don’t need special skills
That pay the bills
When it’s the thrills that fills each hour
Don’t need a life of frills
With the power spills that the pills fulfill
I’m exploring my endorphins
It’s the comedown that kills

People pick their vices
Mine’s not such a crisis

I’m disappointing everyone
Well – everyone but one
Only I can smile
While I come undone
I’ve wasted so much time
What I taste now is sublime

So I’m broke, living day by day
A line of coke, a song to play
I’m not a joke
I’m not what they say
I won’t provoke you to live this way
But I made my own deal
For me it’s ideal
If you don’t feel
Your life can’t waste away

So leave me alone
Forget all I’ve known
I don’t need it anymore
And I don’t need repairing
I’m better than before
I truly like not caring
It’s finally my time
To sit back, relax and feel sublime

No comments: