Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Done

And we've now reached ACT II!!! There's a bunch more songs I still have to write for Act I, but I'm impatient to post everything I've finished so far. So Act II of my college musical, woot woot!

It's FIVE YEARS AFTER GRADUATION - about eight years since we left off at the end of Act I. Kathleen returns to her old high school and becomes a teacher. It’s been years since she’s heard from Damien. She reflects on where she is now in her life and maybe it was all for the best.

Done

KATHLEEN:
When I’m feeling more than blue
I recall this little speech:
Those who can, do
Those who can’t, teach

In my day I was a knockout
Back then I knew the game
I had it figured out
But now - it’s not the same

I’m at the head of the class
A view I’ve never seen
In school I’d barely pass
I was a preoccupied teen

More interested in looks
Than A Tale Of Two Cities
Never flipped through my books
Never joined the school committees

My priorities moronic
Now I think it’s quite ironic
I’m a hypocritical preacher
But kids listen cause I’m the teacher

I can’t say that it’s not scary
As I pause for a momentary
Breath sometimes; I’m very
Certain that I’m not quite sure
What I come in each day for
I use the school library
As my private sanctuary
Students are extremely wary
To enter its front door
No one likes to learn more
Than what’s truly necessary
My life is truly ordinary
In a job that’s stationery
I find it hard to score
Their tests while they snore
But our future was imaginary
As strongly as we both did care he
Acted quite the contrary
There won’t be an encore
It can’t be like before

Our time wasn’t perfect
We may not have endured
I’ve been given time to reflect
We could not be cured
We would have lasted longer
But in the end I am stronger

I don’t choose you
I choose me
The me that someday, one day
I will be
I know now it was for the best
To give up all the rest
Of what we would have eventually become

I’m done
I’m through wallowing inside
I’m done
I’m through swallowing my pride
I’m one
It’s true, there’s so much I’ve denied
Thinking I was only half of two
Thinking me alone won’t do

I’m done
Wishing on each star
I’m done
Wondering where you are
Someone
Left the door ajar
I finally have the strength to close it
He’s in the dark, but it’s me who knows it

From September till May
I try my best
Point my kids the right way
To pass life’s test
I remember the day
We were laid to rest
No matter what I’d say
Your heart went west

But now,
I’m done missing you
And all your extremes
I’m done kissing you
In all of my dreams
Preparing bliss with you
Us as husband and wife
Sharing this with you
A simple, planned out life

It’s finally clear
There’s no excuse
They need me here
I have a use
My heart can reappear
From its recluse
I veered to interfere
With my own abuse

I now know I’m not mistaken
To forsake the road not taken
It’s not too late
To redirect my fate
You’re not the only one who directs
I look forward to what’s next

No comments: