Friday, December 8, 2006

Damien, King of Filmmakers

autobiography alert!!! (sorta - I have better taste in movies than Damien)

Damien gets the chance to quit school and move to LA to work on a film. He has to choose between his two loves - Kathleen and film. In this song, he reflects on why he wants to be a filmmaker.

Damien, King of Filmmakers


DAMIEN:
Damien, King of Filmmakers
You’re going to make us so proud
The quiet won’t try it
Besides they’re all fakers
And your voice is too loud
As it has been since birth
Now you’ve been allowed
To wow the huge crowd
At the film center of the Earth

When I was eight
I saw Woody Allen and Diane Keaton
Go on their date
Even that young I could appreciate
The movie’s broad humor
On the sex I was lost
But at any cost
Puberty did strike me much sooner
Damien, the early bloomer

When I was ten
I devoured mafia movies over and over again
All I watched was R-rated
Which my mom greatly hated
She stated
They’ll corrupt her little boy’s purity
I’m convinced they formed my maturity
Just don’t ask the girls that I’ve dated
They got to know me – then quickly vacated

Take this one girl I once took out--
We go to a film about an asteroid
I look over at her and she just looks annoyed
A day after our date she starts to avoid
My call
My lovelife practically destroyed
The only thing that fills the void
Is photographed pictures on celluloid
That’s all

Westerns, satires,
Spies and vampires
Any genre inspires
My need to create
Visual pictures that everyone knows
Holding on for dear life on a President’s nose
I’m ready for the unsteady life that I chose
So who needs a date?

Then there came you
What am I going to do?
Kathleen, Kathleen, the former prom queen…

To acquire what you desire
It’s required to put your entire
Life on the wire
It’s you, Kathy, and film that I love
It’s A or B or none of the above
How can I choose?
With either option I lose

Why can’t I find answers in my cinematic recollections?
Or my DVD collections?
The movies keep bringing me lifetime epiphanies
Dreams I have no choice but to chase
I want a Naked Lunch and Breakfast at Tiffany’s
While an ape throws a bone into space
A casual shower punctuated with a knife
Or a bicycle flying up over the moon
That’s how I want you to remember my life
I want success and I want it soon


The joy I’ve found with you, Kathy
Has been more romantic than Casablanca
For that, I have to thank ya
But a house, our kids
Playing on the floor
Dinner always served at five
I’ll never stop writing
I’ll never stop fighting
For something more
To make me alive

My reel flowing through a projector
Oh, I could finally kiss
This humdrum, standard, simple life away
The day
I'm honored the Year's Best Director!
My ultimate in bliss!


Every day would be Halloween
Staring at my giant name on the screen
One day I’ll be one of those faces
That the mass public fully embraces
A sip of champagne
Today’s Citizen Kane!
And my past life of common routine
It erases.

What I know for sure
I’m no amateur
I’m Damien
King of Filmmakers
And a king does not detour
I cannot be deterred
By potential sad farewells
I have to be heard
I’m the next Orson Welles!

No comments: