Tuesday, December 5, 2006

Most Likely To Succeed

introducing Abbey, 1/4 the star of my musical:

Abbey is shy, prude, inexperienced in social settings, and is double-majoring in biology and chemistry. She hasn’t gotten out much and has a very one-sided, naive view of the world, courtesy of her over-protective mother. Her roommate, Kathleen, a more sociable girl, invites her to a frat party that night and asks if she likes to “party”. Abbey doesn't know if she likes to party since she's never done it, but she doesn't want to find out, either.

TRIVIA ALERT! This is the first song I began and finished for the musical, and it's completely based off the first four lines popping into my head one day randomly. Who knew it would steamroll into something a lot more substantial?

Most Likely To Succeed

ABBEY:
I don’t drink
I’d rather think
And my mother tells me liquor kills your smarts
That’s where it starts!
Just one tequila shot
And POOF! You’re onto pot
Then snuff and crack
X as a snack
Strayed way off track
A maniac!
Sound the alarm!
There’s a needle in your arm
Then you’ve spawned a bastard child!
And you tell me “what’s the harm!”
Forgive me if I live my life more mild

No – I’ve never tried, as you’ve implied
Drug abuse has multiplied
I’m not surprised you’re satisfied
Caught in the stampede
And besides
I’m dignified – you see,
I confide – with pride
My senior class voted me
Most Likely to Succeed

My brain is my trophy, on display for all to stare
It’s hidden by a bird’s nest of shy, brunette hair
It always picks the right choice
No cause for much rejoice
I’m predictably prepared for the slightest scare

Boring – some call me boring
But I know there’s more in store for me
I’m not yet the woman I could be
The one my mother tells me I should be
One not worth ignoring
I wouldn’t mind a PHD
My degree will guarantee
Me soaring
So, my scoring’s my identity
But I always get an A
I guess that’s okay
Although a bit stressed
Proving you’re the best on each aptitude test
That’s the kind of mess you’re forced to address
When you’re destined for success

I’m not here for beer
For late nights or for friends
I volunteer to disappear in fear
When a coed wanders near
I’m at a social disadvantage
But it comes with the package
Until this freshman year ends
I know school’s for schooling, and Greek
Boys are tools for fooling the weak
And I’ve already agreed
To these unfair expectations you have to exceed
When you’re likely to succeed

I thought in college, people like me would thrive
Best to my knowledge, it’s where people like me would finally feel alive
But the boys have never flocked
I’ve never been that shocked
I’ve never been much talked about
I can’t see the whole attraction
I avoid the whole distraction
It’s one big chain reaction
With the slightest bit of doubt
No – I’ll never know
And live without

So I don’t drink liquor
And I don’t need weed
I’ll reach my goals quicker
I’m at break-neck speed
I’m picked to succeed!

No comments: