Sunday, January 21, 2007

As I Waited To Get A New Prescription

As I Waited To Get A New Prescription

as I waited to get a new prescription
trying to change myself in some other way
I struggled pushing the piece of plastic
in a very sensitive area
struggling as usual
in sensitive areas
I overheard them whispering
although they could have been a little quieter

"See that fat girl over there?
She's having the hardest time
putting those contacts on."

Just because they're optometrists
they think I'm also in need of
a hearing aid.

This was out of the schoolyard
and birthday parties
where people who didn't know any better
threw rocks
and words
at me
This was much more

a mother
(of one of those children I'd assume)
that went to Ivy League
and received her MD
who just lost her father the previous year
who earned $70k plus benefits each year
who could struggle and think and know the right way
just called me fat
handed over the bill
and to my face said have a nice day.

You'd think she would have known better
You'd think I should have known better
than to ask for help
and believe
that ignorance ends
once you get your MD.

No comments: