Tuesday, August 21, 2007

I Gave Him My Heart, He Gave Me a Pen

I Gave Him My Heart, He Gave Me a Pen

I gave you my heart, and you gave me a pen
Promised myself I'd never come back here again
The ink blots as a I think lots about where we stand
You mumbled you'd see me but you never said when

I'm upset, but I shouldn't be
I'm an independent woman
Right?
I'm outspoken
Still heart broken
How serious can you get in one night?

How come I fall for strangers so easily?
How come I live inside my head?
How come I'm not in therapy already?
I spend all my time invested in you instead
I gave you my heart and you gave me a pen

I wore a sexy new black skirt today
Cost me the worth of an entire week's pay
I don't hide, slipped inside my diamond heels
My tits and my tattoo fully on display

Wish I didn't have to beg for you to be able
To prefer my company to what looks good on cable
I'm blurring more during our four-star meal
Playing footsie with the leg of the table

I'm mistaken, but I couldn't be
Our connection you can't
Forget
You're running late
While I'm dressed to the eights
That's as close as I possibly get

How come I stall moving on?
I keep picking the scab that already bled
Thought I could say anything, I was wrong
I desperately seek your approval instead
I gave you my heart and you gave me a pen

I try and restart, and pick up your pen
Write you a letter to see how you've been
It's been so long the ink's gone and the page is still white
So much for leaving your mark on my life

No comments: